Tilos is located at the North West of Rhodes Island, surrounded by high and rocky mountains, steep coasts, beaches with transparent waters and caves. It offers very unique attractions like medieval castles, a Byzantine monastery, many small graphical churches and a village that is a declared cultural monument.

The island history is originated after a territorial separation from the coast of Asia. During the years of its existence, the island was inhabited by a mixture of nations and accepted a mixture of civilizations. The island passed sequentially from pre-Greeks to the Dorians in 1000 BC, to the Venetians, to the Knights of St. John in 1310 AD, to the Turks in 1552 AD, in order to return to the modern arms of its maternal Hellenistic past in 1948. Tilos was inhabited from the Neolithic Era (8000-7000 BC), to which the important and impressive paleontological findings of prehistoric elephants bear witness. Their skeletons were found after the excavations that took place in Charkadio cave. Other excavations prove that the Minoans and subsequently the Mycenaeans also lived in Tilos, as in other Dodecanese islands as well. The island was also inhabited by the Pelasgians proof evidence of which can provide the walls that were found.

Herodotus spoke of the golden age of Tilos in the 7th century BC, during which Tilini of Gelas colonized Sicily with Tilos islanders and Lindos residents. In the 5th century BC, Tilos became part of the Athenian confederacy and remained dependent upon the island of Rhodes, until it passed to the Romans. The richness of the archaeological finds dating from the Roman and early-Christian times reflects the island prosperity. As long ago as 350 BC, the poet Irinna was born on Tilos and at an early age became inspired by the rich and diverse natural beauty of the island, the variety of its landscapes and the surrounding Aegean Sea. Its prosperity continued until the great earthquake of 550 AD. After that, Tilos followed the history of Rhodes, with which it was unified.

During the Byzantine era Tilos together with Nisyros, Kos and Samos constituted the Prefecture of Samos. The Knights of St. John inhabited the island and rebuilt or built three of the castles that exist on the island. In 1522 the island became part of the Ottoman Empire and was under the special financial and administrative status of “maktou” islands. Finally, in 1948 Tilos returned to the modern arms of its maternal Hellenistic past.The peaceful and restless islanders of Tilos want to give the people of Europe a strong message. This time declaring their will for energy independence.

Up till now, the local population of Tilos, about 500 islanders, covers its electricity needs through a poor interconnection to the host island of Kos, where a diesel-oil power station is operated. Owed to undersea cable faults, Tilos suffers from quite frequent and in many cases long-lasting black-outs.

What we -as a consortium- together with the people of Tilos aspire, is to make this small and remote island the first global blueprint for smart microgrids facilitating increased participation of renewable energy sources under the optimum exploitation of energy storage assets.

More information regarding Tilos Island can be found at: www.tilos.gr